The Board of Governors commissioned Ford 3 Architects, a highly-respected firm with expertise in historic buildings, in 2022 to conceptualize and design the needed improvements while maintaining the historic nature of the club. With Prospect Avenue now part of the Princeton Historic District, preservation of Charter’s front elevation is particularly important. The improvements are shown in the clubhouse rendering and updated floor and site plans. A cost of $6.1M is estimated with design and construction.
The clubhouse improvements are:
- Dining capability will be expanded by enclosing the back porch. Routine use of the existing upstairs dining room is impractical, requiring significant capital and increased operating costs.
- A buffet will be added in a new enclosed back terrace accessible from the two dining areas.
- The patio and terraces will be expanded on the first and second floors.
- Women’s and accessible bathrooms will be added to the first and basement floors.
- Pathways will be added for accessibility to the first and basement floors for ADA compliance and member and alumni use from Prospect Avenue and the backyard.
- An automatic dumbwaiter will be added to improve kitchen and dining efficiency.
- An elevator will be added with access between the basement, first, and second floors to provide access to all of the club’s public areas and reduce operating costs by connecting the basement to the main dining room.
- A third-floor bedroom will be added for additional operating income.